TOPIC: GOD IS LEFT OUT!
OPENING PRAYER: My dear heavenly Father, as I study your word, let it be a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
Scripture: 1 Kings 22: 29-40
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
Observe how Ahab left God out right from the planning stage of the battle to the final engagement with the enemies (vs.1-4). Ahab was not led by any word of prophecy as at other times (see 20:13 & 22), except those who came to sing his praise and offer false assurance of victory. He went to battle ill-prepared emotionally (angry, v.26), spiritually (v.27), and without any battle plans while his opponent prepared his own army (v.31). By disguising, Ahab appeared to have taken the prophecy of Micaiah more seriously than the godly Jehoshaphat.
Of what use was Jehoshaphat’s desire to be guided by God when he was not ready to obey Him. Very often, when people say they want to hear God’s word, what they really want is a confirmation of their own intentions. Notice however how he escaped death (vs.32-33)? We also must repent of our errors and call out to God for deliverance whenever we find ourselves in a wrong place (v.32). What a sad end for Ahab! He could not escape God’s judgment (vs.37-38, compare 21:19). The Lord controlled even what happened “at random” (v.34).
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Grant me the grace, dear Lord, to part way with any evil friends before it is too late.
• Thank God for the press houses and publishing houses that primarily devote to publishing Christian literature and related materials.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• Judges 9-10; John 4:1-30
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 10 September 2021 – God Is Left Out! God bless you!