ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR NOVEMBER 29, 2022 (ARE YOU READY FOR AN ANSWER?)
TOPIC : ”ARE YOU READY FOR AN ANSWER?”
Read: Mark 10:17-27(NKJV)
17. Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”
18. So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one [is] good but One, [that is,] God.
19. “You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ ”
20. And he answered and said to Him, “Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth.”
21. Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”
22. But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
23. Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!”
24. And the disciples were astonished at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them, “Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God!
25. “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
26. And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, “Who then can be saved?”
27. But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men [it is] impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.”
STUDY: Jesus made a very instructive statement when he had to rebuke the disciples who were preventing the chilAlmost every believer is quite familiar with the story in this passage.
Here was a young rich ruler who though wanted to know the cost of having eternal life, was not willing to pay the price. His attachment to the world and its attractions was stronger than whatsoever his desire was to have eternal life.
It was a fact that he was inquisitive, but obviously, he was not ready for an answer beyond his thoughts. He did not make up his mind to receive whatever it was Christ was going to tell him.
He came in anticipation to hear something that would be convenient for him and not such a “hard” response.
The lesson for us today is that we must be prepared to receive from the Lord whatever He has to say; even if it is to sacrifice “our Isaac.”
However, it goes, we need not forget that His yoke is easy, and His burden is light.
PRAYER: Lord, make me a willing and an obedient vessel for You at all times. Amen.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.