ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR DECEMBER 21, 2022 (REPENTANCE AND THE COMING OF CHRIST)
TOPIC : REPENTANCE AND THE COMING OF CHRIST
Read: Mark 1:1-8(NKJV)
1. The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
2. As it is written in the Prophets: “Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, Who will prepare Your way before You.”
3. “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the LORD; Make His paths straight.’ ”
4. John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
5. Then all the land of Judea, and those from Jerusalem, went out to him and were all baptized by him in the Jordan River, confessing their sins.
6. Now John was clothed with camel’s hair and with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.
7. And he preached, saying, “There comes One after me who is mightier than I, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to stoop down and loose.
8. “I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
In this passage, John announces that repentance is the way people come to God, and the result is the forgiveness of sins. This is what the people who streamed out of Jerusalem to listen to John were looking for, and they found forgiveness of sins. This came by way of repentance. Isaiah sees repentance as a way of preparing for the coming of Christ.
Thus, John came preaching repentance as a bulldozer – building a highway in the desert for God to reach the isolated stranger in the midst of the wilderness. John brought people to Christ through acknowledgment of guilt and repentance.
When you come this way, God will meet you, cleanse and forgive you. The greatest blessing you can experience is to have your sins forgiven. Stop defending your sinful actions. Don’t blame others for them. Admit that it’s your fault and humbly come to God for forgiveness.
You can do so now while the opportunity lasts; tomorrow may be too late. In the quietness of your own heart, where God alone hears, you can say to Him, “Lord, I repent. Send me the Holy Spirit through Jesus.”
And He will. This is the only way to prepare for the coming of Christ.
PRAYER: Father, please forgive me and cleanse me in Jesus’ name. Amen.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.
Leave a Reply