TOPIC: When God Rejects a Good Intention
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, I pray that you sanctify my spirit, soul and body as I read your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: 1 Chronicles 17:1-15
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow? • What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Can you remember any occasion when you had wished to help someone, and they rejected the offer? How did you feel? What does David’s intention show us about God’s place in his heart (v.1)? In these days of so much selfishness, when people are always thinking of what they can get from God rather than what to give, David’s attitude presents us a glowing challenge.
What place does God and his work occupy in your heart and priority list? Though David’s intention was good, his timing was wrong, so God did not allow it, and David was not angry but accepted God’s verdict (vs.3-4; also see 22:6-8 for another reason). When it seems that God does not permit us to do some things which are not outside His will, the problem may be with the timing.
Read vs.7-14 again and take note of the wonderful result of David’s good intention towards God. Instead of David building a house for God, God promised to build a house (dynasty) for him. You can never out give God.
• And So: Have you ever been disturbed that you are comfortable but God’s work and workers (pastors and missionaries) around you are suffering? There is something you can do to help.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Pray for a heart that plans and achieves something big for God and His servants. • Thank God for His love which He has demonstrated in diverse ways of salvation, health, provisions, safety, etc.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 2 Kings 7-9; Matt. 13:1-30
Scripture Union Daily Guide 24th May 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.