Topic: God Severely Punishes Idolatry And Unfaithfulness
Opening Prayer: Plant my steps in the sure promises of your word today, dear Lord.
Scripture: Ezekiel 14:1-23
Question(s) for Reflection
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
Notice the different description of the major sin that the prophet communicated to the elders of Israel (vs.3&13). From vs.3-11, God declares that He will punish two groups of people. Take note of how and for what each group will be punished.
When God covenanted with Israel, He states His conditions very clear (Exodus 19:3-6; 20:1-17). Unashamedly, the elders of Israel would not keep God’s commandments and yet would approach the prophet to enquire of God. God’s wrath was aroused by their sin and hence God’s response in v.4b.
Most of the time when our sins bring serious calamities upon the land, there is a remnant who would be committed to God (vs.22-23). The Lord cites examples of Noah, Daniel and Job as men who were righteous in their generations. Even then, notice the limitation of the effect of their righteousness (vs.14, 16, 18 & 20).
The same condition applies to us today. A pastor cannot save his congregation, just as a father’s salvation does not avail for his children. Each one must appear before the Lord as individuals (2 Corinthians 5:10).
• So what? Consider your local context
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Pray for the growth of the remnant (vs.22-23), those holding true to their faith in Jesus.
• Thank God for His love which He has demonstrated in diverse ways of salvation, health, provisions, safety, etc.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with 2 Corinthians 3:17;Psalms 40-42; Acts 18
Scripture Union Daily Guide 26th July 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God