DCLM DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL TUESDAY 24TH MAY 2022 (NO TOLERANCE FOR APOSTASY)
TOPIC: NO TOLERANCE FOR APOSTASY
Text: Deuteronomy 13:12-18
12. If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying,
13. Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;
14. Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;
15. Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.
16. And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God; and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.
17. And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand; that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;
18. When thou shalt hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep all his commandments which I command thee this day, to do that which is right in the eyes of the LORD thy God.
KEY VERSE: Deuteronomy 13:17
“And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers.”
One of the widely accepted messages today is the message of tolerance and respect for other people’s ways of life. It is believed that since we all have different opinions, the only way we can have world peace is when we love and learn to tolerate others, no matter what they believe. It is this modernists’ view that encourages moral perversions such as sodomy, lesbianism, transgender, etc., that are prevalent in our society today. Christian love and tolerance do not accommodate such abominable worldviews.
From the text, the children of Israel are not to tolerate any form of apostasy. Those who turn away from the true God to embrace idolatrous worship are not to be accommodated. Such base fellows and all those who choose to follow them must be completely destroyed after due enquiry has been made to establish the truth of apostasy among them. This is because God holds the purity of His people so dear that He will not allow anything to defile them.
While Christians are called upon to love everyone, it must be without compromise and tolerance for evil. Love without rebuke is weak, permissive and indulgent. True love must be complemented by truth, righteousness and holiness.
As believers, we are duty bound to help one another preserve the sanctity of the worship of God by ensuring we do not aid any son of ‘belial’ in our midst who seeks to corrupt others as well. There must be no tolerance for evil.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
True love does not tolerate evil.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.