DCLM DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR NOVEMBER 25, 2022 (NO PARTISAN SPIRIT, PLEASE!)
TOPIC : NO PARTISAN SPIRIT, PLEASE!
Text: Mark 9:38-50
38. And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us; and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
39. But Jesus said, Forbid him not; for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
40. For he that is not against us is on our part.
41. For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.
42. And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.
43. And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off; it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched;
44. Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
45. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off; it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched;
46. Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
47. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out; it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire;
48. Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
49. For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.
50. Salt is good; but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.
KEY VERSE: Mark 9:38
“And John answered Him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in Thy name, and he followeth not us: and we farbade him, because he followeth not us.”
The world, more than ever before, is divided along partisan, sectarian and ethnic lines. This seriously threatens the very fragile peace we have. Sectarianism exists when a group of people believe that their ideology and worldview is superior to all others. They do not wish to consider the merits of other views, neither are they willing to tolerate them in any way.
The disciples of John had reported to Jesus how they had stopped a man who they saw casting out devils in the name of Jesus but did not belong to their camp.
Thinking they would be commended by Jesus for trying to keep the “purity” of their sect and the exclusiveness of their right to use the authority in His name, they were shocked at the response of the Master.
He made them to know that they should not have forbidden him. He may not be among the inner caucus of the disciples nor directly belonged to their group; but since he was using the name of Jesus, he obviously was in support of Christ and His ministry.
It is important that we guard against developing spiritual arrogance and sectarian trait. People with this kind of nature always feel that they alone exist. They feel they are the only Christians and others do not belong.
They feel that nothing good can come from others who do not belong to their sect and as such, they must be silenced, condemned or crushed.
This actually is a mark of spiritual pride and it does a lot of damage to the cause of Christ. It hinders the progress of the gospel, discourages others and even robs us of the benefits we can derive from others.
This kind of attribute is not Christlike. Even if others do not know as much as we do, our encouraging attitude and extended hands of fellowship can help them improve.
Let us join our hands with others as we preach the loving gospel of Christ.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
The Church of Christ is one.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.