DCLM DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR NOVEMBER 11, 2022 (POWER IN OUR WORDS)
TOPIC : “POWER IN OUR WORDS“
Text: 2 Kings 2:19-25
19. And the men of the city said unto Elisha, Behold, I pray thee, the situation of this city is pleasant, as my lord seeth; but the water is naught, and the ground barren.
20. And he said, Bring me a new cruse, and put salt therein. And they brought it to him.
21. And he went forth unto the spring of the waters, and cast the salt in there, and said, Thus saith the LORD, I have healed these waters; there shall not be from thence any more death or barren land.
22. So the waters were healed unto this day, according to the saying of Elisha which he spake.
23. And he went up from thence unto Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
25. And he went from thence to mount Carmel, and from thence he returned to Samaria.
KEY VERSE: 2 Kings 2:22
“So the waters were healed unto this day, according to the saying of Elisha which he spake.”.
Can it be that the average person spends one-fifth of his or her life talking? That is what statistics say. If all our words were put into print, the result would be this: a single day’s words would fill a 50-page book while in a year’s time, the average person’s words would fill 132 books of 200 pages each! Among all these words, there are bound to be some spoken in anger, carelessness or haste and there are some spoken to bless, admonish and perform a miracle.
Elisha’s prophetic and miraculous powers were enlisted in solving the environmental problems of Jericho, a cursed city. The ground was barren. It was not producing sufficient crops, and the water was bad, causing young cattles to come to birth dead. Elisha, who was fresh from receiving the double portion anointing, spoke blessings and healing into the city after pouring salted water into the fountain of their stream. The same Elisha cursed a group of disrespectful children in Bethel (a blessed city, which Jacob described as the gate of heaven in Genesis 28:17,19). Two she bears came out of the wood and killed forty-two of them.
Words can be very powerful, especially when spoken by people of authority and supernatural powers. Many people are suffering setbacks and mysterious stagnation today because of what was said against them many years ago.
Naturally, man cannot effectively control his tongue and make it a blessing to people. But if you fully surrender your heart to God in total repentance, He will forgive and cleanse your sins, touch your heart as well as transform your tongue.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
There is power in the tongue; use it well.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Kings 21-22
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.