DCLM DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR JUNE 20, 2022 (HOW TO ESCAPE GOD’S JUDGMENT)
TOPIC : HOW TO ESCAPE GOD JUDGEMENT
Text: Jeremiah 22:1-12
1. Thus saith the LORD; Go down to the house of the king of Judah, and speak there this word,
2. And say, Hear the word of the LORD, O king of Judah, that sittest upon the throne of David, thou, and thy servants, and thy people that enter in by these gates;
3. Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness, and deliver the spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor; and do no wrong, do no violence to the stranger, the fatherless, nor the widow, neither shed innocent blood in this place.
4. For if ye do this thing indeed, then shall there enter in by the gates of this house kings sitting upon the throne of David, riding in chariots and on horses, he, and his servants, and his people.
5. But if ye will not hear these words, I swear by myself, saith the LORD, that this house shall become a desolation.
6. For thus saith the LORD unto the king’s house of Judah; Thou art Gilead unto me, and the head of Lebanon; yet surely I will make thee a wilderness, and cities which are not inhabited.
7. And I will prepare destroyers against thee, every one with his weapons; and they shall cut down thy choice cedars, and cast them into the fire.
8. And many nations shall pass by this city, and they shall say every man to his neighbour, Wherefore hath the LORD done thus unto this great city?
9. Then they shall answer, Because they have forsaken the covenant of the LORD their God, and worshipped other gods, and served them.
10. Weep ye not for the dead, neither bemoan him; but weep sore for him that goeth away; for he shall return no more, nor see his native country.
11. For thus saith the LORD touching Shallum the son of Josiah king of Judah, which reigned instead of Josiah his father, which went forth out of this place; He shall not return thither any more;
12. But he shall die in the place whither they have led him captive, and shall see this land no more.
KEY VERSE: Jeremiah 22:3,4
“Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness, and deliver the spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor…”
Leaders of nations and grea men among their citizens often spend long periods wondering and working at how best to rebuild their countries and improve the wellbeing of their people. Most times, they are unsuccessful; and when it works at all, it is only for a brief period before the rot sets in, and the country gets into distress. The corruption and disobedience ultimately court divine displeasure and judgment.
God alone has the blueprint for sustained peace, progress, development and prosperity of nations. From the text, He told the king of Judah to be just, execute judgment in righteousness, protect the weak among his subjects, treat strangers with love, care and respect, and defend the orphans and widows. He would not allow violence and bloodshed to reign in the land. If the king upheld these directives, his nation would prosper, his reign would be peaceful and his successors would ascend the throne in orderly manner and for long time to come. But if he rejected the command of God, the nation shall be invaded and ravaged, the cities shall not be inhabited, the land would be burnt down and turned into a desert. Passers-by would be shocked at the extent of the devastation.
To escape God’s judgment, sinners must repent, confess and forsake all their sins, and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. God desires that all men should obey His entreaties. Those who reject it today will face His judgment at the end of life.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Repentance opens the door of escape from God’s anger.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Timothy 1-6
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.