DCLM DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR DECEMBER 13, 2022 (LET THE BIBLE INFLUENCE YOU)
TOPIC : LET THE BIBLE INFLUENCE YOU
TEXT: Colossians 3:12-23
12. Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
13. Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any; even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
14. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
15. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
16. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
17. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
18. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
19. Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
20. Children, obey your parents in all things; for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
21. Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
22. Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;
23. And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
“And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.” – (Colossians 3:17).
A 1996 survey of United States citizens came up with the verdict that the Holy Bible was still “the most influential book in history”. This ancient book, written originally in Hebrew and Greek, with small portions in Aramaic, has been translated into countless languages of the world along with its production in electronic versions. That was how the Lord intended His book to be – accessible to every creature so all can learn to do all things in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Our excerpt from Apostle Paul’s epistle to the brethren at Colosse bears all the hallmarks of what have made the Bible man’s enduring possession throughout the thousands of years of its existence. An inspired Paul downplays his own prison discomfort to declare that only when man comports himself “in word or deed” as to the Lord, and not unto men, can he enjoy the peace and blessings of God. How is this to be done? We must go to Christ to teach us to forgive each other, bear with others’ shortcomings, richly absorb the Bible and submit to one another.
The world is denied joy, peace and harmony because its inhabitants have refused to take to the precepts in the Bible, the most influential book in history. Most of those who possess it do not plumb its depths to allow it influence them. So, while man applauds its historical influence, they reject its spiritual authority.
Yet, the Bible is God’s authoritative voice. We must read it to allow it decisively regulate our relationships and way of life. After all, the book is immeasurably more than a collection of stories or mere human writings. Beyond all these, the Bible makes us understand God’s benevolent plan for the rescue of fallen man.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Knowing God requires knowing His word.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Leave a Reply