DCLM DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR 6TH APRIL 2022 (NOT OF THE WORLD)
TOPIC: Not Of The World “
Text: Joshua 16:1-10
1. And the lot of the children of Joseph fell from Jordan by Jericho, unto the water of Jericho on the east, to the wilderness that goeth up from Jericho throughout mount Bethel,
2. And goeth out from Bethel to Luz, and passeth along unto the borders of Archi to Ataroth,
3. And goeth down westward to the coast of Japhleti, unto the coast of Bethhoron the nether, and to Gezer; and the goings out thereof are at the sea.
4. So the children of Joseph, Manasseh and Ephraim, took their inheritance.
5. And the border of the children of Ephraim according to their families was thus; even the border of their inheritance on the east side was Atarothaddar, unto Bethhoron the upper;
6. And the border went out toward the sea to Michmethah on the north side; and the border went about eastward unto Taanathshiloh, and passed by it on the east to Janohah;
7. And it went down from Janohah to Ataroth, and to Naarath, and came to Jericho, and went out at Jordan.
8. The border went out from Tappuah westward unto the river Kanah; and the goings out thereof were at the sea. This is the inheritance of the tribe of the children of Ephraim by their families.
9. And the separate cities for the children of Ephraim were among the inheritance of the children of Manasseh, all the cities with their villages.
10. And they drave not out the Canaanites that dwelt in Gezer; but the Canaanites dwell among the Ephraimites unto this day, and serve under tribute
KEY VERSE: Joshua 16:10
“And they drave not out the Canaanites that dwelt in Gezer: but the Canaanites dwell among the Ephraimites unto this day, and serve under tribute.”
The Christian life is not a playground but a battleground. It is not a bed of roses but a war zone of intense struggle against the devil, the flesh and the world. We must not embrace the kind of Christianity presented by new generation churches of today, where cross bearing or self-denial is not emphasised. Only those who overcome shall live in heaven with God.
In the book of Judges, Israel continued their battle for the occupation of the Promised Land. The tribe of Joseph (Ephraim and Manasseh) moved into their possession after fighting to dislodge the Canaanites, the original occupants of the land. But they were not able to drive them out of Gezer, so they had to live together with them.
The men of Ephraim actually complained to Joshua, Israel’s captain about the difficulties of driving out the stubborn Canaanites because they possessed chariots of iron and were strong. They should have fought harder to have the Canaanites driven out, but they let them stay, perhaps for social and commercial purposes. This compromise backfired, as the few Canaanites left in the land grew in number, influenced and corrupted the theocratic nation of Israel.
Our Lord, Jesus Christ said unequivocally that though the Church is in the world, it is not of the world. The Church is His new creation and Bride, purchased with His blood. Unfortunately, the Church now dresses, sings and dances like the world while abandoning her core business of soul-winning. There is need for the Church to return to her lost glory.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
The true Christian is not of the world.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.