DCLM DAILY MANNA DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR OCTOBER 11, 2022 (PAYBACK FOR A BUSYBODY)
TOPIC: PAYBACK FOR A BUSYBODY
TEXT: Song Of Solomon 1:4-9
4. Draw me, we will run after thee; the king hath brought me into his chambers; we will be glad and rejoice in thee, we will remember thy love more than wine; the upright love thee.
5. I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon.
6. Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me; my mother’s children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept.
7. Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth, where thou feedest, where thou makest thy flock to rest at noon; for why should I be as one that turneth aside by the flocks of thy companions?
8. If thou know not, O thou fairest among women, go thy way forth by the footsteps of the flock, and feed thy kids beside the shepherds’ tents.
9. I have compared thee, O my love, to a company of horses in Pharaoh’s chariots.
“Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: my mother’s children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept.” – (Song of Solomon 1:6)
Busybodies incur avoidable suffering because of their meddlesome habits. Not content with their business in life, they stray into strange territory where they are led into misery and contempt.
That was also the lot of the Shulamite woman. She complained that her siblings were angry with her because she abandoned her duty post to meddle in the affairs of others. As a result, she suffered severe consequences. Her fair skin became dark from the heat of the sun.
Trouble awaits believers who do not heed the Lord’s counsel that “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier” (2 Timothy 2:4). We have a solemn commandment that we should focus only on our commitment to serve the Lord through the great commission. We are not to meddle in matters which do not concern us. The believer must remain pure while he awaits the return of his Master.
The Christian needs to be spiritually awake in order not to be drawn into demanding social activities, attempting business deals that would not permit time and consecration for the work of Christ. Such promising offers are at the beginning prosperous, but gradually deprive us of time for evangelism and regular church attendance. Naturally, zeal for heaven’s business would wane. The Lord frowns at such a Christian the same way the Shulamite’s brothers were angry with her for not tending the work given her.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Busybodies do not please God.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 11th October 2022 || Payback For A Busybody