DCLM DAILY MANNA DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR 28TH APRIL 2022 (DEADLINESS OF CONTAGION)
TOPIC: Deadliness Of Contagion “
Text: Leviticus 14:33-57
33. And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,
34. When ye be come into the land of Canaan, which I give to you for a possession, and I put the plague of leprosy in a house of the land of your possession;
35. And he that owneth the house shall come and tell the priest, saying, It seemeth to me there is as it were a plague in the house;
36. Then the priest shall command that they empty the house, before the priest go into it to see the plague, that all that is in the house be not made unclean; and afterward the priest shall go in to see the house;
37. And he shall look on the plague, and, behold, if the plague be in the walls of the house with hollow strakes, greenish or reddish, which in sight are lower than the wall;
38. Then the priest shall go out of the house to the door of the house, and shut up the house seven days;
39. And the priest shall come again the seventh day, and shall look; and, behold, if the plague be spread in the walls of the house;
40. Then the priest shall command that they take away the stones in which the plague is, and they shall cast them into an unclean place without the city;
41. And he shall cause the house to be scraped within round about, and they shall pour out the dust that they scrape off without the city into an unclean place;
42. And they shall take other stones, and put them in the place of those stones; and he shall take other morter, and shall plaister the house.
43. And if the plague come again, and break out in the house, after that he hath taken away the stones, and after he hath scraped the house, and after it is plaistered;
44. Then the priest shall come and look, and, behold, if the plague be spread in the house, it is a fretting leprosy in the house; it is unclean.
45. And he shall break down the house, the stones of it, and the timber thereof, and all the morter of the house; and he shall carry them forth out of the city into an unclean place.
46. Moreover he that goeth into the house all the while that it is shut up shall be unclean until the even.
47. And he that lieth in the house shall wash his clothes; and he that eateth in the house shall wash his clothes.
48. And if the priest shall come in, and look upon it, and, behold, the plague hath not spread in the house, after the house was plaistered; then the priest shall pronounce the house clean, because the plague is healed.
49. And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop;
50. And he shall kill the one of the birds in an earthen vessel over running water;
51. And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times;
52. And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet;
53. But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house; and it shall be clean.
54. This is the law for all manner of plague of leprosy, and scall,
55. And for the leprosy of a garment, and of a house,
56. And for a rising, and for a scab, and for a bright spot;
57. To teach when it is unclean, and when it is clean; this is the law of leprosy.
KEY VERSE: Leviticus 14:35
“And he that owneth the house shall come and tell the priest, saying, It seemeth to me there is as it were a plague in the house.”
The family is a core unit that builds up the societal fabric. Its physical or spiritual wellbeing denotes the health of the nation or church. Recently, a mother came home with severe fever and was treating herself for malaria without carrying out necessary tests. Within days, the entire household was having same feverish condition. Eventually, clinical test confirmed it was not just malaria.
Leprosy is a painless but highly infectious disease, which incapacitates the individual. Invasive by nature, it easily affects all the diseased associates. No wonder God stipulated to the Israelites what householders must do to ensure living in a hygienically disease-free environment. The priests, as representatives of God, had the responsibility of investigating any reported case within the community.
While leprosy might not be prevalent today, there are other contagions that are equally as deadly. Within the family, therefore, everyone should take responsibility and observe all stipulated protocols to keep diseases at bay. Professional assistance should be engaged, where necessary, to deal with any nascent health issue.
God’s desire is, “that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth” (3 John 1:2). But sickness in families could be a consequence of divine displeasure. Like leprosy, sin is contagious, deadly to the body and damning to the soul. It must be nipped in the bud. Obeying God’s word ensures wholesome health of spirit, soul and body.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Take responsibility for your body and soul.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Samuel 3-5
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.