ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR OCTOBER 31, 2022 (LIFE IS PROFITABLE: ONLY IN CHRIST JESUS)
TOPIC : ”LIFE IS PROFITABLE: ONLY IN CHRIST JESUS”
Read: Ecclesiastes 6(NKJV)
1. There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, and it [is] common among men:
2. A man to whom God has given riches and wealth and honor, so that he lacks nothing for himself of all he desires; yet God does not give him power to eat of it, but a foreigner consumes it. This [is] vanity, and it [is] an evil affliction.
3. If a man begets a hundred [children] and lives many years, so that the days of his years are many, but his soul is not satisfied with goodness, or indeed he has no burial, I say [that] a stillborn child [is] better than he —
4. for it comes in vanity and departs in darkness, and its name is covered with darkness.
5. Though it has not seen the sun or known [anything,] this has more rest than that man,
6. even if he lives a thousand years twice — but has not seen goodness. Do not all go to one place?
7. All the labor of man [is] for his mouth, And yet the soul is not satisfied.
8. For what more has the wise [man] than the fool? What does the poor man have, Who knows [how] to walk before the living?
9. Better [is] the sight of the eyes than the wandering of desire. This also [is] vanity and grasping for the wind.
10. Whatever one is, he has been named already, For it is known that he [is] man; And he cannot contend with Him who is mightier than he.
11. Since there are many things that increase vanity, How [is] man the better?
12. For who knows what [is] good for man in life, all the days of his vain life which he passes like a shadow? Who can tell a man what will happen after him under the sun?
STUDY: In our passage today, it appears King Solomon wants us to understand the essence of what man runs after. It is clear that man can work hard and be successful but, may not eat of it. He may end up having his hard work enjoyed by someone else which is considered an evil affliction. Solomon compared the superiority of the wise man to that of the fool – the necessaries of life are the same to both. Again, their conditions in life are nearly similar – both are liable to the same diseases, dissolution, and even death (v.8). Dear friend, it is obvious that when we live in Christ Jesus, everything will be profitable to God and to us.
Nothing at all should rob us of our commitment to God. Our lives in Christ Jesus should be a blessing to our generation and show forth the glory of God Almighty. Your life cannot be in vain only if it is lived according to the will of God. 1Corinthians 15:58 summarises it all: Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
PRAYER: Life is best, when Jesus is involved.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.