ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR OCTOBER 18, 2022 (DO THE WORK OF EVANGELIST!)
TOPIC: DO THE WORK OF EVANGELIST!
TEXT: 2 Timothy 4:5-13(NKJV)
5. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
6. For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand.
7. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
8. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.
9. Be diligent to come to me quickly;
10. for Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world, and has departed for Thessalonica — Crescens for Galatia, Titus for Dalmatia.
11. Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for ministry.
12. And Tychicus I have sent to Ephesus.
13. Bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas when you come — and the books, especially the parchments.
STUDY: Today’s passage was written at the latter part of Paul’s life. Paul, Timothy’s father in the faith, charged his son not to be weary in discharging his duty as an evangelist. He charged him to endure afflictions (v.5), because sometimes, preaching the gospel comes with persecution which requires perseverance. Timothy’s attention was drawn to the assignment given to him which was absolute proclamation of the gospel.
Paul mentioned that, “he had fought a good fight… finally, there was laid up for him a crown of righteousness…” (vv.7&8). As part of this admonition, he told Timothy that he would like to see him as quickly as possible. Probably, he wanted to discuss some other things with him which he could not write in his letter.
In this same letter, Paul also mentioned some people who had played important roles in his preaching ministry such as Demas, Crescens, Titus, and even St. Luke the Evangelist whose Day we commemorate today. Luke the Evangelist was one of those who had a positive impact on Paul’s ministry. Paul, testified that he was the only one with him as at the time he was writing this letter.
Brethren, the proclamation of the gospel is not an option for a Christian. You must endeavour to do the work of an evangelist in season and out of season. You should not allow the temporary enjoyment of this world to take away the work of evangelism from you. As we commemorate St. Luke’s Day today, dare to be like him who stood by Paul in the face of trials and tribulations for the gospel to be propagated.
PRAYER: Empower me O Lord, to do the work of Evangelist!
Anglican Daily Fountain 18 October 2022 Tuesday | Do The Work of Evangelist!