ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR FEBRUARY 2, 2023 (AN OBEDIENT FAMILY)
TOPIC : ”AN OBEDIENT FAMILY”
TEXT: Luke 2:22-35(NKJV)
22. Now when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were completed, they brought Him to Jerusalem to present [Him] to the Lord
23. (as it is written in the law of the Lord, “Every male who opens the womb shall be called holy to the LORD”),
24. and to offer a sacrifice according to what is said in the law of the Lord, “A pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons.”
25. And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon, and this man was just and devout, waiting for the Consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him.
26. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.
27. So he came by the Spirit into the temple. And when the parents brought in the Child Jesus, to do for Him according to the custom of the law,
28. he took Him up in his arms and blessed God and said:
29. “Lord, now You are letting Your servant depart in peace, According to Your word;
30. For my eyes have seen Your salvation
31. Which You have prepared before the face of all peoples,
32. A light to [bring] revelation to the Gentiles, And the glory of Your people Israel.”
33. And Joseph and His mother marveled at those things which were spoken of Him.
34. Then Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary His mother, “Behold, this [Child] is destined for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which will be spoken against
35. “(yes, a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”
The family Jesus was born into obeyed the commandments of God as given through Moses. According to verse 22 of our reading, Jesus was brought by His earthly parents to present Him in the Temple after Mary’s days of purification for a male baby were over (Lev, 12:1-4).
They offered a sacrifice as much as they could afford as required by law (v.24;Lev.12:6-8).
When Jesus was presented in the Temple, He was celebrated by Simeon, a celebration that gave birth to the Nunc Dimitis, used by the church today. When children are raised in a godly family they out in the society.
A biblical example is Timothy whose Christian background was traced to his grandmother – Lois – down to his mother – Eunice (2 Tim. 1:5).
Another striking example is that of a Puritan Preacher in the 1700s – Jonathan Edward – whose godly family legacy produced a U. S. Vice-President, U. S. Senators, Governors, Mayors, Judges, Doctors, Professors, Military Officers, Lawyers, Clergymen and many College Graduates.
What type of family do you have? Humbly ask God for a blueprint to follow.
Today’s children will become tomorrow’s leaders and what you plant in them today will be exhibited to the world tomorrow!
PRAYER: Dear Father, may my family be one that will always obey you. Amen.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.
Leave a Reply