ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR FEBRUARY 19, 2023 (JESUS DINING WITH SINNERS)
TOPIC : ” JESUS DINING WITH SINNERS”
13. Then He went out again by the sea; and all the multitude came to Him, and He taught them.
14. As He passed by, He saw Levi the [son] of Alphaeus sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him.
15. Now it happened, as He was dining in [Levi’s] house, that many tax collectors and sinners also sat together with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many, and they followed Him.
16. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw Him eating with the tax collectors and sinners, they said to His disciples, “How [is it] that He eats and drinks with tax collectors and sinners?”
17. When Jesus heard [it,] He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call [the] righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”
Quinquagesima means fifty days to Easter. It is the next Sunday before Lent. Our reading today indicates how Jesus met Levi (Matthew), the tax collector, on his way to someplace. Jesus called him to follow Him and he did. This gave Jesus the opportunity to minister to publicans and sinners who gathered at the party called by Levi.
The Scribes and the Pharisees asked Jesus’ disciples why their Master ate with sinners. Jesus answered them that He came to call sinners to repentance. The word of God declares that all has sinned (Rom. 3:23). Jesus came to seek and save the lost. He came that we might have life and have it more abundantly (John 10:10).
People may have written you off but Jesus has not done so. Your decision today can change your story like that of Levi and his friends if you will follow Jesus today. People of all walks of life are welcome to dine with Master Jesus. Come as you are.
You are not too bad to be changed and saved. Jesus ate with sinners. He is a friend of sinners. Do not feel unwanted. Come to Jesus today! He will save your soul.
PRAYER: Lord Jesus, I open the door of my heart to let you in forever from today.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.