ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR AUGUST 25, 2022 (EVIL COMMUNICATIONS CORRUPT GOOD MANNERS)
TOPIC : ”EVIL COMMUNICATIONS CORRUPT GOOD MANNERS”
Read: Proverb 1:1-19(NKJV)
1. The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel:
2. To know wisdom and instruction, To perceive the words of understanding,
3. To receive the instruction of wisdom, Justice, judgment, and equity;
4. To give prudence to the simple, To the young man knowledge and discretion —
5. A wise [man] will hear and increase learning, And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
6. To understand a proverb and an enigma, The words of the wise and their riddles.
7. The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge, [But] fools despise wisdom and instruction.
8. My son, hear the instruction of your father, And do not forsake the law of your mother;
9. For they [will be] a graceful ornament on your head, And chains about your neck.
10. My son, if sinners entice you, Do not consent.
11. If they say, “Come with us, Let us lie in wait to [shed] blood; Let us lurk secretly for the innocent without cause;
12. Let us swallow them alive like Sheol, And whole, like those who go down to the Pit;
13. We shall find all [kinds] of precious possessions, We shall fill our houses with spoil;
14. Cast in your lot among us, Let us all have one purse” —
15. My son, do not walk in the way with them, Keep your foot from their path;
16. For their feet run to evil, And they make haste to shed blood.
17. Surely, in vain the net is spread In the sight of any bird;
18. But they lie in wait for their [own] blood, They lurk secretly for their [own] lives.
19. So [are] the ways of everyone who is greedy for gain; It takes away the life of its owners.
STUDY: In the history of Israel from the time of the kings, Solomon was the one to whom the Israelites turned for wisdom. Though Solomon was not the sole writer of the Book of Proverbs, yet the book begins with giving credit to Solomon for his wisdom (v.1). It is not out of point to say that Solomon was actually talking about the ethical teaching that expresses a truth concerning living in today’s passage.
He said in verse 7: “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction”, meaning that to achieve what he mentioned in verses 2-6, one must have the fear of the Lord. He also advised the young ones that it is most honourable for them to obey their parents (vv. 8-9) and concluded by telling them to shun or avoid bad company which would make them end up in wretchedness and ruin (vv. 10-19), because, evil company corrupts good habits (1 Cor. 15:33).
Brethren, since it is not out of place to say that Solomon was talking about the ethical teaching that expresses a truth concerning living; then it is important we know that to live a life that pleases God, we must adhere strictly to all His instructions, especially as it concerns today’s passage. We are to always remember that obedience is better than sacrifice. And if obedience is better than sacrifice, why would we then choose to go after something that has less quality and abandon that which has greater quality?
PRAYER: It is not by power nor by might but by my spirit says the Lord. Father, give me listening ears and a consented heart that I may do that which pleases You always.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.