ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR AUGUST 14, 2022 (BEING A WORTHY ELDER)
TOPIC: BEING A WORTHY ELDER
Read: 1 Peter 5:1-11(NKJV)
1. The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed:
2. Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly;
3. nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock;
4. and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.
5. Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to [your] elders. Yes, all of [you] be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”
6. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,
7. casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
8. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
9. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.
10. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle [you.]
11. To Him [be] the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
The word ‘Elder’ is used to describe certain persons appointed to hold a position of authority in the church and to have the responsibility of providing spiritual oversight of discipling, feeding, guiding and guarding the flock committed to their care. They are often referred to as overseers or pastors. To be worthy is to have merit and value. Apostle Peter in today’s text admonished the elders (being an elder himself) to carry out their responsibility, not because they must, but willingly. He warned them to avoid Satan’s trap of love of money and power but be an example to the flock.
He emphasised humility and submission in interpersonal relationship, self-control in conduct, dependence and trust in God in times of need as well as exercising spiritual alertness at all times. An elder is a leader and leadership is about influence. You do not need to dominate by using excessive authority. What is needed is exhibiting godly character and carrying others along in fulfilling God’s purpose. At whatever level of leadership you find yourself, you must ensure that you lead by God’s standard and keep yourself from the snares of the evil one. God is counting on you. Be a worthy elder and please God who has chosen you.
PRAYER: Almighty Father, grant me grace to live worthy of your calling every day of my life in Jesus Name.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.