TOPIC: BEWARE OF FALSEHOOD
OPENING PRAYER: Oh Lord, fill me with the power of the Holy Ghost as I study your word.
Scripture: 2 Peter 2:1-10a
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Prophetically, Peter describes accurately what prevails today in the realm of false teachers? their secret and mysterious doctrines, destructive heresies, rejection of God’s sovereignty. Vs.2&3 show how false prophets and teachers, in their greed, cleverly exploit human need for security, health, sustenance, and shelter. Even well-meaning seekers fall prey to their deceit. Eventually they “bring swift destruction on themselves” (vs.1,3) and on “many who follow their depraved conduct” (v.2).
Heed Jesus’ warning in Matthew 24:4,11, 24-25 about false prophets. Biblical events cited in vs.4-8 establish two facts: first, the ungodly who refuse to worship and obey God, such as sinful angels, ungodly people in Noah’s days and immoral inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah faced judgment and destruction. What happened to them is “an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly” (v.6). Secondly, righteous people, such as Abraham’s nephew, Lot, who do the will of God will be delivered (v.9).
How does Peter justify the righteousness of Lot who lived in Sodom and Gomorrah (vs.7,8)? Jesus said his followers live in the world but are not of the world (John 17:14-16) and should not “follow the corrupt desire of the flesh” (v.10a).
• And so? We ought to be vexed, like Lot, about the ungodliness around us.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Lord, help me to follow your word so I will never be led astray by false teachings and doctrines.
• Pray against harmful books and multimedia materials that masquerade as Christian materials.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• Psalms 120-122; 2 Cor. 6
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 27 August 2021 – Beware Of Falsehood. God bless you!