TOPIC: Beware of Satan’s Subtlety
Opening Prayer: Let me know more of you today dear Lord as I meditate on your word.
Scripture: 1 Chronicles 21:1-19
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow? • Is there any warning for me to heed?
Census seems to be such a harmless exercise. Even God Himself commanded taking of census (Numbers 1:1-3). Why then was He unhappy with David for such an ‘innocent’ action? The problem was the source of David’s decision and his motive for the census (see vs.1-2). We need to realise that Satan has no respect for our office or anointing (Matthew 4: 1). He tempts us in line with the desires of our hearts (James 1:14) and pressurises us to yield if we are unable to discern his subtlety. If David had listened to Joab’s advice, this mistake would have been prevented (vs.3-4).
Let’s take time to listen to what others are saying. It may be God’s warning signals to us (Proverbs 24:6). Yielding to Satan’s suggestions can bring terrible calamities on us, our families and nation (vs.11-15). What can we learn from David in vs.8, 13, 16 and 17? Do we easily recognise and acknowledge our mistakes before God, like David? Do we seek God’s mercy when we realise we have sinned? No wonder David is called a man after God’s heart.
• Further studies: How can we recognise and overcome the subtlety of the tempter (Matthew 4:1-11, 1 Peter 5:8-9)?
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Lord Jesus, help me never to be carried away by selfish motives and ambition lest I give the tempter a foothold in my life. • Thank God for Scripture Union and other Christian organizations who produce Christian materials and literatures .
Prayer for the week
Pray for brethren whose marriages have issues. Pray for the spirit of forgiveness and willingness to endure and forbear. Pray for the spirit of God to make the brethren to be considerate and make allowance for each other, and not give the devil an opportunity to destroy their lives. Pray for Foundation of Life Ministry and for Christian Foundation Church of God.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 2 Kings 19-21; Matt. 15:21-39
Scripture Union Daily Guide 29th May 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God