TOPIC: A Humble and Grateful Response
Opening Prayer: My dear heavenly Father, as I study your word, let it be a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
Scripture: 1 Chronicles 17:16-27
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
Observe David’s amazing response to God’s message sent through Nathan. Read vs.17-19 again. What does the language David used in this prayer (for example, “Who am I?” “What is my family?”…) convey to you about his heart’s disposition? He recognised his unworthiness and expressed gratitude for God’s mercy, goodness and love shown to him.
Unlike many in our generation who attribute their success and achievements so much to hard work and smartness, David recognised that he was nothing apart from God’s grace. We need to remember that in our own strength we can achieve but nothing (John 15:4-5; Deuteronomy 8:17-18). It takes a humble heart to pray the way David prayed. If we also desire God’s favour and blessings, we need to be humble and grateful (1 Peter 5:5-6).
In vs.20-22 David affirmed his confidence in the incomparable power and love, which God had displayed over Israel. He then appealed that God will make his dynasty to continue forever (vs.23-27). Jesus Christ is the answer to that prayer.
• So What? Don’t be quick to tell God your problems, learn also to appreciate and thank Him for His blessings and affirm your confidence in His promises.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Do that now. • Praise God for the grace that made you a Christian and the empowerment to be a faithful witness.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 2 Kings 10-12; Matt. 13:31-58
Scripture Union Daily Guide 25 May 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.