Topic: God Promises the Holy Spirit
Opening Prayer: Lord, I pray that you lead me into your truth as I meditate on your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: Joel 2.28-32
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any promise for me to believe or hope for? • What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Pentecost marks the coming of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1-4) in fulfilment of God’s promise in Joel 2:28. Note that several hundreds of years have passed between Joel 2:28 and Acts 2:1. What does this teach us about God? God is faithful and trustworthy, His promises may linger but if we believe and wait patiently, all his promises will be fulfilled in our lives. Who can have the Holy Spirit and what are the benefits of having Him (vs.28-29; Cf. John 14:26; Acts 1:8)?
In the Old Testament era, the Holy Spirit came upon people who had special jobs to do, but in this prophecy, God declared that He will give the Spirit to “all people.” “The day of the Lord” (vs.30-31) is probably a reference to the period of the great tribulation mentioned by Jesus in Matthew 24:21&29 and detailed in Revelation 6-9, which will eventually climax in the return of Christ. What encouragement is there for us in v.32 as we await the return of our Lord and continue with the work of evangelism that He left for us?
• So What? Have you given up on certain promises of God because it seems to be taking too long to be fulfilled? Hold on to God. He is faithful.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Pour out your Spirit upon your Church, O Lord. • Thank God for the death of Jesus Christ on the cross, and His resurrection for the remission of the sins of mankind: the only assurance of eternity with God.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 2 Kings 4-6; Matt. 12:24-50
Scripture Union Daily Guide 23 May 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.