TOPIC: An Urgent Warning
Opening Prayer: Lord, let the light of your word shine into my life as I meditate on your word.
Question(s) for Reflection
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit? • Is there any warning for me to heed?
The entire scripture testifies that God is love, merciful and compassionate; always concerned for our eternal welfare. What do vs.26, 29, 30 and 31 reveal about God? God’s love is not an indulgent love. If we deliberately spurn His love and despise His words, we will inevitably incur His righteous judgment (vs.26-27; cf.12:29).
Observe that the warnings in this passage are directed at Christians (v.26a). Also note that the passage is not talking about sinless perfection (1 John 1:7-9), but deliberate rebellion against God that is persistent and wilful. How relevant do you think these warnings are to our generation? In view of all kinds of permissive doctrines of inclusiveness, hyper-grace, etc going on in our churches today, do you think Christians are taking these warnings as seriously as we should?
Read v.26 again. What does it mean to you that “no sacrifice for sins is left”? The sacrifice of Christ is the final. God will not provide any other sacrifice for our sins. So, rejecting Christ is like a dying man rejecting the only available medicine for cure.
• So What? Have you been taking God’s love for granted? What steps will you take to ensure that you no longer take His great love for granted?
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Pray that God will help you to implement the steps you have outlined in your reflection. • Pray for daily devotional publishers who are helping Christians to meet God daily through bible reading and prayer.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 1 Kings 19-20; Matt. 10:21-42
Scripture Union Daily Guide 20th May 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.