TOPIC: The Effective Sacrifice
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, expose me to your truth as I read your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: Hebrews 10:1-18
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow? • What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Vs.1-4 refer to the annual sacrifice made on the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 16). What do you notice about that sacrifice and what lesson is there for us? Although the sacrifices were offered as required by the Law (v.8b), they were ineffective to stop the worshippers from continuing in sin (vs.4, 11). They offered only temporary relief from the guilt of sin and serve as pointers to Christ’s better sacrifice (v.1). But Christ’s one sacrifice was complete, perfect and effectively atoned for our sins, for all time and for all people (vs.10, 14; cf. 1 John 1:7).
Read vs.5-10 again. What can we learn from Christ’s obedience to God’s will? By yielding to the will of the Father and going to the cross (Matthew 26:39, 42, 44), Christ demonstrated that the way to please God is not by empty and mechanical compliance to the laws but to yield completely to His will through faith in His Son (John 6:28-29) and live in obedience to the leading of the Holy Spirit every day of our lives (Romans 8:1-4).
• So What? “What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus”
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Reflect on the sacrifice of Christ for your sins and take time to praise Him for what He has done for you. • Ask God to help you know His will, walk in it and be an example to believers and unbelievers
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 1 Kings 14-15; Matt. 9:18-38
Scripture Union Daily Guide 18th May 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.