TOPIC: Disciplines of a godly leader
Opening Prayer: Grant me grace dear Lord to apply what you will teach me today as I read this passage.
Scripture: Proverbs 25:1-14
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow? • What is God revealing to me in this passage?
What disciplines mark out godly leaders? What do they treasure? How do they make their decisions? Proverbs 25:1 reveals a deep leadership discipline in the life of Hezekiah. As one of the most remarkable kings of Judah, he ensured that his men copied for him selected ‘leadership proverbs’ from Solomon.
See what scripture says about him, “In everything that he undertook in the service of God’s temple and in obedience to the law and commands, he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so, he prospered” (2 Chronicles 31:21). This is how he succeeded where many others failed – and he sets a great challenge and example for every Christian and particularly to Christian leaders today – in the church and at the workplace, everywhere!
From these proverbs we also learn that exemplary godly leaders diligently search to discover God’s purposes (v.2). They develop intelligent minds (v.3) and seek to bring the best out of bad or useless situations (v.5). They establish their leadership through righteousness (v.6). Look at vs.7-8 and compare how Jesus applied this kingdom principle in Luke 14:7-11. The rest of the passage gives insightful proverbs on the way to live in godliness with our neighbours. Which one stands out for you personally?
• Examine your life to see how these leadership disciplines and good neighbourly attitudes apply to you personally.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Turn these thoughts into prayer. • Pray that the lesson of the cross which is sacrificial giving of self, will help you to offer sacrificial service.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• Jer. 22-23; Matt. 24:29-51
Scripture Union Daily Guide 13 June 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God