Topic: Pursuit of Holiness
Opening Prayer: Help me dear Lord to meet with you as I meditate on your word in Jesus name
Scripture: Hebrews 12: 12 – 29
Question(s) for Reflection
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit? • Is there any command for me to obey?
Notice the ‘therefore’ which connects v.12 with the message of v.11. This emphasizes the need for perseverance because righteousness and peace do not come easily. There is an aspect of preparedness for hard work or training. V.13 is noteworthy.
A Christian who lives a crooked or dishonest life will not only be a problem to himself spiritually, but to others for whom he is a role model. What effort are we urged to make about human relationships in v.14? Again “make effort” suggests it is not an easy task. Do you have struggles in this area? The Lord Jesus is the one to consult. What is the connection between holiness and healthy human relationships?
Compare 1 John 4:20. The passage (vs.18-24) highlights the two different Dispensation – the of the law, characterised by fear and terror, represented by Mt, Sinai (v 18-21) and dispensation of the Gospel of Grace represented by Mt. Zion V 22-24, characterised by freedom, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost. This freedom in Christ does not call for loose living but holding God in highest reverence and we (v 25-29), Cf 1 Pet 1:13-17.
• Thought: Who is God to you, a loving Father or a consuming fire?
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Lord, help me to live my life daily in holiness. • Pray for Christians who are being persecuted as a result of their faith to have courage and perseverance. Pray for God,s speedy intervention and help.
Offer a prayer of Faith in Line with
• Jer. 15-17; Matt. 23:1-22
Scripture Union Daily Guide 10th June 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God