TOPIC: KEEP ON SPEAKING!
OPENING PRAYER: Plant my steps in the sure promises of your word today, dear Lord.
SCRIPTURE: Acts 18:1-17
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any command for me to obey?
When you get to a new location, do you look for your fellow Christians (vs. 1 – 3)? Paul worked with his hands while preaching the gospel message. He knew the importance of credibility in ministry so he will not be a burden to the converts or preach the gospel for monetary gains (v.3 cf.1 Cor. 4: 12a; 2 Cor. 12: 13 – 14; 1 Thess. 2: 9). How different from what we observe in some ministers today. Some people have become discouraged because of the way preachers overburden even non-Christians with requests for money.
On the other hand, why do you think Paul was able to devote ‘himself exclusively to preaching’ after Silas and Timothy came over to Corinth? God depends on us believers to support our missionaries, so they can fully commit themselves to preaching the gospel every day and everywhere (v. 5). Notice what Paul did in vs. 6 – 8 and think of what you can learn from it. Notice that God’s assurance in vs.9-10 did not shield Paul from opposition and hostility particularly from the Jews.
But God silenced them so Paul could continue to share the gospel message. God did have many people in the city including a few key Jewish leaders (vs.7-8; 17). We see later that the Corinthian church, although replete with problems because of their environmental and cultural background, was one of the key churches founded by Paul.
• So What: Read the following verses again to see the hand of God providing help for Paul in his work: vs.2-3 (Aquila and Priscilla); v.7 (Titius Justus); vs.12-16 (Gallio).
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Reflect and thank God for those occasions you clearly see the hand of God working in your life.
• Pray for political leaders to know that power belongs to God and, therefore, be willing to work for and uphold free and fair electoral processes and systems.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 1 Chron. 1-3; Jude
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 11 November 2021 | Keep On Speaking!