TOPIC : HOLD ON FIRMLY
Scripture: Revelation 2:18‐29
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any promise for me to believe or hope for?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
• What truth is God revealing to me in this passage?
In this letter, the Lord first acknowledges the good deeds of the church, and then points out misconduct that needs repentance and amendment. Recognising people’s good deeds first before offering suggestions for correction helps nurture relationships. Thyatira resembles any African city full of a variety of common people’s work, secular in nature, and dealers in all kinds of merchandise.
For what five qualities does the Lord commend the church (v.19)? Two groups are found in the Thyatira church: those who are misled by the teachings of Jezebel who promotes immorality and idol worship; and those who reject Jezebel’s false teaching and are holding on firmly to Jesus Christ. Jezebel, the Phoenician wicked wife of King Ahab, murdered prophets, was shamelessly immoral, and instituted Baal worship in Israel (2 Kings 9:7‐10).
Today, thousands of worshippers are deceived by so‐called “men and women of God” who hold them in bondage. Their “so‐called deep secrets” (v.24) are, in reality, occult practices. How does 1 John 4:1‐2 help us distinguish between fake and true teaching? Vs.22‐23 state the punishment awaiting the disobedient. On the other hand, check vs.24‐28 for the Lord’s blessing on those who diligently hold on to the end. Jesus, “who searches hearts and minds”, will repay everyone according to their deeds (v.23).
• Dear Lord, give me the discernment to differentiate between the right and perverse doctrine and help me to follow your teachings, holding on firmly to the end.
Prayer for the week
• Pray for Christian brethren in business, believe God that their labours will not be in vain. Pray for wisdom to know where to invest or not to invest. Believe God that as they follow godly principles, they will prosper as promised by God’s word.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
Psalms 126:5 ‐ 6; Isaiah 37‐39