TOPIC: THEN THEY WILL KNOW THAT I AM THE LORD
OPENING PRAYER: Dear Lord, I request that you help me to encounter you as I meditate on your word.
SCRIPTURE: Ezekiel 25:1-17
Question(s) for Reflection
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 21 October 2021 | Today’s Guide
Having pronounced judgment on the house of God, Ezekiel now turns to the neighbours and gives them their share. Take a close look to find the crimes of, and punishment for Ammon (vs.1-7); Moab (vs.8-11); Edom (vs.12-14) and Philistia (vs.15-17). Ammon and Moab are punished for rejoicing when Israel, their common enemy, fell (v.3). When God was chastising Israel, He considered their rejoicing and prideful attitude insulting. God admonishes us, not rejoice when our enemies fall (Proverbs 24:17).
Note how Edom’s and Philistia’s punishments are also harsh because of their vicious treatment of Judah. Both took advantage of Israel’s ruin to cruelly take revenge of their ancient foe (vs.12,15), thereby provoking God’s wrath. We should never forget that judgment belongs only to God. In this message, God shows that He takes note of what is happening in every nation. Has your nation taken advantage of the civil strife in the neighbouring country?
And personally, how do I respond when my adversaries are being judged or punished by God, when bad things happen to bad people?
• What next? See Romans 12:20 for the biblical standard on the way to treat our enemies.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• O Lord, grant me the grace to see situations in the lives of individuals and institutions from your perspective and to respond to them as you would.
• Pray to walk in the power that raised Jesus from the dead.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 1 Sam. 22-24; 1 Tim. 1
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 21 October 2021 | Then They Will Know That I Am The Lord.