TOPIC: THE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD AND HIS ANOINTED
OPENING PRAYER: Dear Lord, may the entrance of your word bring light and life to all I will do today.
SCRIPTURE: Psalm 2:1-12
Question(s) for Reflection
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Psalm 2 is a coronation Psalm for Israel’s kings, but it also heralds Jesus as the King of kings and is often quoted in the New Testament. In the Psalm, David presents the futility of people who not only think that God has no right over their lives but also resist the truth that salvation is only found in and through His Son, Jesus Christ. They try to take steps to free themselves from His sovereign rule and encourage others to do the same (vs.1-3).
In vs.4-9, God responds to such negative attitudes and actions from humans by giving sovereign rule to Jesus, His anointed Son. We have proof of this from God’s declaration at Jesus’ baptism (see Matthew 3:16-17). Do you sometimes think that God’s standards for Christian living are just too high and the way of salvation too narrow for our contemporary world?
Read Peter’s inspired proclamation in Acts 4:12 and Paul’s explanation of this in Philippians 2:9-11. Spend some time to meditate on these truths. Notice the advice that the Psalmist gives in vs.10-12?
• So: Take some time and meditate on Psalm 18:30
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Dear Father, you are the Sovereign God. Help me to daily surrender to the Lordship of Jesus over my life.
• Pray for the educational needs of the children of missionaries
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• Ezek. 5-7; John 9:24-41
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 22 September 2021 | The Sovereignty Of God and His Anointed Son.