TOPIC: KEEP WATCH, HE IS COMING!
OPENING PRAYER: May the meditation of my heart be acceptable unto you, O Lord as I read from your word.
SCRIPTURE: Matthew 24:32-42
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
• Is there any other Biblical passage that can help me understand this passage better?
We will examine today’s passage from two angles: Vs.32-35: The certainty of Jesus’ coming: The Lord used common climatic and historical events to further illustrate His teaching in answer to the disciples’ questions (read v.3 again). The disciples and the people in general knew how to connect the appearance of fresh fig leaves to the arrival of summer (vs.32-35). What are the signs already mentioned in the earlier passages that point to the soon coming of the Lord?
V.36-42: The uncertainty of the time of His coming: V.36 is a little challenging here yet very instructive. No one knows the exact day of Jesus Christ’s return. This is the preserve of the Father. But that should not worry the believer. Notice what the believer is called to do in v.42. Alertness, prayer and watching should be the duty of every believer. The experience of people in the time of Noah is very pertinent. Noah, however, was not caught napping but was fully ready and so should we.
• For reflection: How alert are you in your readiness for the return of Jesus Christ?
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• May I, dear Lord Jesus, always be spiritually alert and not be among those who sleep.
• Pray that God will sustain all Christian literature and Bible printers and publishers.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• Amos 1-3; John 7:1-27
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 17 September 2021 – Keep Watch, He Is Coming! God bless you!