SCRIPTURE UNION DAILY DEVOTIONAL OCTOBER 27, 2021 (FIRST PROPHECY AGAINST EGYPT)
TOPIC: FIRST PROPHECY AGAINST EGYPT
OPENING PRAYER: Dear Lord, expose me to your truth as I read your word in Jesus name.
SCRIPTURE: Ezekiel 29:1-21
Question(s) for Reflection:
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Egypt, another neighbouring country of Israel, was once a ruling nation when Moses’ countrymen were slaves to Pharaoh (vs.6-7). Observe the pride and security of her king who thought he was so powerful and wealthy that God Himself could not overthrow him.
Notice specifically what God indicted Pharaoh for in vs. 3, 9 cp. Psalm 24: 1-2. God abhors contesting his position or glory with anyone. God promises to treat the ruler and his people like fish trapped by fishermen in their nets (vs.3-6).
Do not be deceived, no one is above God! What does vs.13-14 teach us about God? Although God is merciful, He does execute His judgment when we proudly disobey and take His word for granted. Vs.8-12 came to pass when Nebuchadnezzar invaded Egypt in 586 BC and 572 BC.
Are you surprised that God gave Egypt as His payment to Babylon for work done in Tyre (vs.18&20)? In His mercy, God put a time limit on Egypt’s punishment and restored them but no longer as a proud and dominant nation (v.15).
God’s chosen people will also return from captivity and their power restored (v.21). They will acknowledge the Lord as King.
• What next? Pride can ruin a person, a whole church or nation. Let us humble ourselves before God so He will lift us up in due time (1 Peter 5:6)!
• Lift up our nation, dear Father, that all may know that you are the Lord over all.
• Pray that the political leaders will act and conduct themselves in a manner that promotes peace and unity of their country.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 2 Sam. 6-8; 1 John 1
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 27 October 2021 | First Prophecy Against Egypt.