SCRIPTURE UNION DAILY DEVOTIONAL NOVEMBER 8, 2021 (Suffering for a Purpose)
TOPIC: Suffering for a Purpose
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, I pray that you order my steps today through your word as I meditate on it.
Scripture: Acts 16:25-40
Question(s) for Reflection
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
Imagine you were Paul and Silas; how would you react? How silly Paul and Silas must have looked to the other prisoners. Many of us would have raised many complaints for God allowing us to experience such terrible treatment. For the missionaries, however, it was time to rejoice and testify to fellow inmates and the jailer that Jesus is Lord (Philippians 4:4). When God responded with earthquake that shook the foundation of the prison, the jailer, and possibly every other prisoner, was ready to listen to Paul narrate the reason for the hope that caused them to rejoice in tribulation.
The jailer became an instant believer in Jesus Christ along with his entire family. It would appear God sent Paul and Silas into the prison just to bring about the salvation of the jailer and his family. They were released as soon as they completed their assignment. But see how the magistrates’ earlier neglect of justice brought them embarrassment (vs.36-39).
What does this teach you about knowing your rights and how to enforce them? The Philippian church received the third key member following the conversion of businesswoman, Dorcas and possibly, the slave girl. The Philippian church later became a key supporter of Paul’s ministry (Philippians 4:10, 14-16).
• And so: How do you react to challenges – grumble, complain, blame others or accept it as God’s will and praise Him?
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Help me, Lord, to patiently and humbly wait to learn from every difficult situation you allow me to encounter.
• Pray for interdenominational Christian fellowships operating in our campuses – IVF, SUCF, NIFES, FCS and such others – to blossom and be instruments of unity in the body of Christ.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with 2 Corinthians 9:8; Ezra 3-5; 2 Tim. 2
Scripture Union Daily Guide 8 November 2021. Scripture Union is an international, interdenominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.