SCRIPTURE UNION DAILY DEVOTIONAL NOVEMBER 14, 2021 (WHO ARE YOU?)
TOPIC: WHO ARE YOU?
OPENING PRAYER: Make my life oh Lord a reflection of you as I study your word.
SCRIPTURE: Acts 19:11-20
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 14 November 2021 | Today’s Guide
One could imagine that Paul was not out to send handkerchiefs or materials as a magical object to people. It was God choosing to work in unusual ways. He, not Paul, is the miracle worker (vs.11-12). How do we process the unusual workings of God among us – make doctrines out of them or learn from them? Today, a number of people use this portion of Scripture to sell some materials as ‘mantles’ for healing, deliverance and material prosperity. We saw something close to the state of the seven sons of Sceva in the story of Simon, the sorcerer (Acts 8).
He sought to purchase God’s power which he saw at work through Peter. We saw yesterday that the disciples had first to accept the Lord as their saviour. The Holy Spirit power followed. Instead of going this route, these seven men tried a short cut. They had no personal experience of salvation or the power of the Holy Spirit in them. Disaster followed (v.16). Do you sometimes use the name of the Lord in vain?
Or you have evil materials in your possession through which you hope to gain power (horoscope books, talisman, charms, etc), or there are some secret sins you are clinging to? These are sure ways to be put to shame by the devil. Notice the result of this ugly or unfortunate incident (v. 20).
• So what? Many youths in our higher institutions engage in occult or demonic practices which has ruined their lives.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Pray that you may be a mighty instrument in Christ’s hand to scatter the forces of evil in your society.
• Pray for the activities of interdenominational Christian fellowships – OFNC, ACF etc. – in their ministry to foreigners
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 1 Chron. 10-12; Luke 1:39-56
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 14 November 2021 | Who Are You?