TOPIC: A JUDGEMENT ON THE TWO SISTERS
OPENING PRAYER: Grant me grace dear Lord to apply what you will teach me today as I read this passage.
SCRIPTURE: Ezekiel 23:36-49
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
Our passage today deals concurrently with both sisters, Oholah and Oholibah. Ezekiel comments on the similarities of their sins and their punishment. In v.37, the first sin, adultery, refers to idolatry and the second one refers to child sacrifice. V.48 is a warning against adultery in general. God’s people were coming into the Lord’s holy sanctuary under the pretence of worship only to desecrate it (vs.38-39).
Can you imagine people coming into the Temple of the Lord straight from an idol shrine after making sacrifices with infants’ blood, dancing and singing as if nothing has happened! The people also committed all sorts of cultism with foreigners (vs.40-41), using those items meant for the worship of the Living God. The people of God and their foreign guests partied for as long as they wanted (vs.42-45) in sexual orgies.
But see what happened to them at the end (vs.46-47). It does not matter how long it takes, the judgment of God is coming upon a world given to pleasures and which has forgotten God (vs.48-49).
• So then? What is your own response to God’s instructions in the Scripture?
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Our loving and merciful God, help me to turn away from sin, whether ‘big’ or ‘small’, so I may avoid your fierce anger.
• Ask God to help you know His will, walk in it and be an example to believers and unbelievers
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• Ezek. 22-23; John 13:1-20
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 29 September 2021 | A Judgement On The Two Sisters.