SCRIPTURE UNION DAILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE DECEMBER 20, 2021 (NEVER DOUBT GOD)
TOPIC: Never Doubt God!
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, expose me to your truth as I read your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: Luke 1:18-25
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Earlier in this chapter (v.13), angel Gabriel visited Zechariah and told him that his wife Elizabeth will bear him a son. Notice his response in v.18. In the light of v.7c, would you have responded differently? There is repercussion for doubting God (vs.19-20). We must learn to remain faithful to our God, avoid any iota of doubt, but trust Him to visit us at His own appointed time.
He is never too late. When Zechariah finally came out from the sanctuary the people waiting for him noticed that he could neither pronounce the customary blessing on them (Numbers 6:24-26), nor share his experience (the good news) with anyone. To confirm what God said, his wife Elizabeth became pregnant after they had finished their one week’s service and gone home (vs.21-24). Elizabeth, who was baffled by the fulfilment of God’s word, secluded herself for five months. How do you understand Elizabeth’s remark in v.25 (cf. Genesis 30:22-23)? How we need to be careful when we make remarks about Christians who are experiencing delay in receiving the blessing from the Lord!
• And so: Physical limitations do not limit God. God will accomplish His will, often in unexpected ways. Trust Him!
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Oh God, help me to always walk with you by faith, never by sight!
• Praise Him for His love in keeping our families together in unity, and in meeting our spiritual and material needs.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with Isaiah 62:6-7; Neh. 4-6; Luke 19:28-48
Scripture Union Daily Guide 20 December 2021. Scripture Union is an international, interdenominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.