TOPIC: BLESSINGS FOR THE GODLY
OPENING PRAYER: As I read through this passage dear Lord, let your word bring transformation to my life.
Scripture: Psalm 1:1-6
Question(s) for Reflection
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
The more we delight in the Word of God, the more fruitful we become (v.2). To illustrate this, two kinds of people are described: the righteous who delight in God’s Word and the wicked who don’t. By delighting in God’s Word, the righteous flourish and are productive (vs.2,3). Observe the blessing that awaits them. (v.6a). But the wicked, who are like chaff – empty, unfruitful, aimless (v.4) – will be condemned in judgment and will have no place in God’s Kingdom (v.5,6b).
To benefit from God’s Word calls for “day and night” reading, meditating, applying, and obeying what we learn (c.f., Ezra 7:10). From v.3, note four benefits for taking pleasure in God’s Word. While we cannot avoid relating with people, it is advisable to choose close friends carefully. People who help us walk in the fear of the Lord are preferred, not those who mock the things of God (see 2 Corinthians 6:14). Unbelievers are more likely to lead us astray.
• For further study: From the following passages, learn why those who delight in God’s Word are fruitful: Joshua 1:8-9; Psalm 19:7-14; John 15:3-4; 16; Psalm 119:9-11, 105, 130.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Thank you, Lord, for giving us your word which is light and life. Please grant me the appetite to meditate on it, apply it to my life, and to be obedient to you.
• Pray for wisdom upon leaders of the country to lead aright, with the fear of the Lord.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• Psalms 132-134; 2 Cor. 10
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Scripture Union SU Daily Guide 31 August 2021 – Blessings For The Godly. God bless you!