Topic: Sooner Than We Think
Opening Prayer: Oh Lord, grant me spiritual insight into the truth of your word as I study it.
Scripture: 2 Peter 3:1-10
Question(s) for Reflection
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
• Is there any other Biblical passage that can help me understand this passage better?
Satan’s deceptive strategy is to convince man that Jesus will not return, or that there is more time (vs.3,4). This ridicule by scoffers leads to procrastination and self-indulgence, making many to ignore Jesus and the salvation He so graciously offers. Peter saw this evil tactic in his time and wrote “to stimulate wholesome thinking” (v.1).
From vs.5-7, how does Peter advance wholesome thinking to counteract the scoffers? A recently converted youth, grateful for his salvation, prayed, to thank God that Jesus didn’t return two years earlier; “I would have missed heaven!” What scoffers consider to be a delay is, rather, an opportunity for more people to come to repentance and not perish (v.9).
Compare Peter’s prophecy of a melting earth in vs.7&10 with John’s admonition in 1 John 2:15-17. Those who think the world cannot be destroyed should revise their notes in the light of contemporary world events?earthquakes, pestilence, collapsed buildings, flooding, wildfires, and wars with weapons of mass destruction.
Peter re-echoes what the disciples heard Jesus say about His return (Matthew 24:43). It will be “like a thief in the night” (v.10) – sudden, swift, and unexpected. Be prepared!
• And so? Look up! The signs of His coming are unfolding and visible.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Lord, I believe you are coming back soon. Help me to live carefully, wisely, and in full preparedness.
• Pray that the lesson of the cross which is sacrificial giving of self, will help you to offer sacrificial service.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with Acts 4: 29-30; Psalms 126-128; 2 Cor. 8
Scripture Union Daily Guide 29 August 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God