Topic: “The Right Choice In Marriage
MEMORISE: 2 Corinthians 6:14
“Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?”
READ: 1 Kings 11:1-11 (KJV)
1. But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites;
2. Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you; for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods; Solomon clave unto these in love.
3. And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart.
4. For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods; and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.
5. For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.
6. And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father.
7. Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon.
8. And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods.
9. And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice,
10. And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods; but he kept not that which the LORD commanded.
11. Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant.
Apart from the choice of whom to serve, the choice of a life partner in marriage is another fundamental decision that can affect a person’s destiny positively or negatively. A wrong choice in marriage may override the choice to serve God. Solomon chose to marry many strange women and they influenced him to forsake God and serve idols. The choice of a life partner will go to a very large extent in either strengthening or weakening a person’s relationship with God. Solomon did not want to forget God who had done so much for him, but his choice of wives caused him to err.
Many people make costly mistakes because they do not seek God’s guidance. No matter how much you know, depending on God in making a choice is a sign of meekness and humility. God still chooses the right marriage partner for His children who are willing to trust and obey Him. Psalm 25:9 says:
The meek will he guide in judgment and the meek will he teach his way.
Judgment in the above Scripture means decision-making or preference, thus, it is saying God will guide the meek in making choices. Even if you have basic knowledge in the area where you have to make a choice, you still need to depend on God. Lot chose a piece of land that he knew would be very good for agriculture. He surveyed the land, assessed its prospects, knew it would sufficiently support animal husbandry and thus, chose to relocate there. His knowledge was good, but it was limited because he did not know what the future held for that land.
God eventually destroyed the land in the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 13:9-11). There appears to be nothing wrong in Lot making a choice; however, his mistake was that he did not seek God’s guidance. Relying solely on one’s knowledge can ruin such a person’s destiny and lead to eternal damnation. This is why Proverbs 31:30 says:
Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feared’ the Lord, she shall be praised.
Seek the face of God and sound Christian counselling before choosing a life partner. Do not choose by sight and human knowledge alone; God’s guidance is key to making the best choice in all that concerns you.
Father, please guide me in all decisions I have to make in life. Lord, please help our youths make the right choices when it is time to choose a life partner, in name of Jesus.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Samuel 1-4
Open Heavens Daily Devotional Lessons/guide Was Written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer Of The Redeemed Christian Church of God, One of The Largest Evangelical Churches in The World and Also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries. The open Heavens Devotional is One of The Most Wildly Read Devotionals in The World. It Is Designed to Load You Daily with Gods Word and Keep You Inspired, Encouraged and Uplifted. It Includes Open Heavens Devotionals, Teens Open Heavens Devotionals and Many More…. Read More