TOPIC: DISCIPLINE YOUR HEART (II)
Fire Scripture: Mark 7:18-23
Proverbs 27:19 – “As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man.”
A honest man seeks to please God in all things and not to offend Him in any way.
The Holy Spirit shall make your heart His dwelling place, in the name of Jesus.
Having treated so much about the heart of man in the last discourse, let us see how we can discipline our hearts and make it right with God. God will enable us to do this, but it all starts with you and me. Take an inward look. What is in your heart? Is it filled with ungodly thoughts, negative imaginations, unhealthy cravings and desires, and all such things that defile? The Spirit of God cannot dwell in such a place.
Samson entertained immorality and he didn’t know that the power of God, the Holy Spirit, had left him. Paul wrote, “Can we continue in sin and the grace should abound? God forbid”. This goes to confirm that God abhors sin and anything that defiles. The heart, as earlier stated is the source and power room for all of our feelings, thoughts, emotions and actions.
Hence, it must be well guided and guarded. Is your heart set on things above or things below? Where a man’s treasure is, there you will find his heart(Col.3:1-2). If you’re for Christ, your heart would be set on the things of God. The world and its vanities will pass away but those who love the Lord and do His will shall live ( 1 John 2:15-17). A depraved heart and a sinful heart, if surrendered unto God, will experience the mercy of God that brings salvation.
God will give you a new heart! Get ready to cry in repentance as David did in Ps. 51:10, “Create in me a new heart…” God is still in the business of creating new heart and renewing the right spirit in those who are willing to cry to Him and receive the change!
1. O Lord, create in me a new heart, in the name of Jesus.
2. O Lord, renew the right Spirit in me, in the name of Jesus.
3. Father Lord, do not take Your Holy Spirit from me, in the name of Jesus.
4. Grace and power to love God with all my heart, come upon me now, in the name of Jesus.
5. Anything contending with the love of God in my heart, give way, in the name of Jesus.
6. Holy Ghost, kill every idol in my heart and bring into captivity every strange thought, in the name of Jesus.
7. Lord Jesus, make me a living sanctuary for You!
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR
2Kings 24; 2Kings 25; 2Chro 36