DEEPER LIFE YOUTH SEARCH THE SCRIPTURE BIBLE STUDY MANUAL FOR OCTOBER 17, 2021 LESSON 1022 : TOPIC – THE GREAT WHITE THRONE JUDGMENT
YOUTH SEARCH THE SCRIPTURE
TOPIC: THE GREAT WHITE THRONE JUDGMENT
Memory Verse: “And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it. from whose race the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them” (Revelation 20:11).
TEXT: Revelation 20: 11-15
The great white throne judgment is one of the teachings on the events of the last days also known as eschatology. It is part of the doctrines of the Bible. “And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works” (Revelation 20: 12). In this teaching, God graciously reveals His programme for this present evil world.
Also, He wants us to know that the time will come when wicked and ungodly boys and girls will face final judgment. “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27). Prior to this judgment, at the end of the millennial reign, the devil will be released from the bottomless pit to deceive many people and gather them to fight against Jesus Christ the King and His saints. “And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nation no more. tin the thousand years should be fulfilled; and after that he must be loosed a little season”(Revelation 20:1-3).
This is called the battle of Gog and Magog but Christ shall defeat and destroy them by the fire of His wrath (Revelation 20:7-10). After this the great white throne judgment will be Set. “And I saw a great white throne, and him that at on it. from whose race the earth And the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them” (Revelation 20: 11).
THE RIGHTEOUS JUDGE (Revelation 20:11; Genesis 18:22-26; Psalms 50:6; 58:10.1 1; 94:1,2; Deuteronomy 10: 17; Ecclesiastes 11:9, 12:14; Acts 10:38-42; Romans 2: 16)
One Of the main features of the Great White Throne Judgment is the righteous Judge. The Scripture says. “And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them” (Revelation 20:11).
He will judge the world in righteousness. “Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto au men, in that he hath raised him from the dead’ (Acts 17:31). The final judgment of the dead, both small and great will be passed by God (Hebrews 9:27). At that time everyone will give account to Him. “so then every One of us shall give account of himself to God” (Romans 14: 12).
Question 1: Will a true believer face this judgment?
‘For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him” (l Thessalonians 5:9, 10). No true believer whose name is written in the Book of life will face the great white throne Judgment because their judgment as sinners was accomplished by Christ on the cross (John 3: 17-19,30; Romans 8: 1; John 5:24).
Question 2: Who will be the Judge during the final ruling
Jesus is the great Judge during the great white Judgment. He will sit on the throne so white, magnificent and terrible at sight. The whole earth and heaven will tremble and flee from Him. All those who died without repenting from the time of Adam till the time of the final judgment resurrected to get their sentence. This is called the second resurrection (Daniel 12:2; Acts 24: 15). They will all stand before God to give account of their deeds.
The Scripture describes God as the Judge of all the earth (Genesis 18:22-26), the Judge of the earth (Psalm 94:1,2) the God who judges the earth (Psalm 58:1O,11) and the Judge of all (Hebrews 12:23). However, He will transfer all judgment into the hands of Jesus Christ His Son. “How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed Of the devil; for God was with him. And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly; Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead. And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead” (Acts 10:38-42). This is not strange because Jesus is also called the Judge of the quick and dead, the righteous Judge (2 Timothy 4:8) and the Judge of the secret things (Romans 2: 16).
THE FINAL JUDGMENT (Revelation 20:12-15; Daniel 7:9.10; 12: I; Romans 2; 1-6; I Peter 4: 17, 18; Genesis 6:5-7)
‘And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their work.” (Revelation 20:12). In this final judgment of all sinners and wicked men, there are five things in the passage above to be considered
Question 3: Who will appear before the great white throne judgement
1. The classes of people (Revelation 20: 12: Genesis 19:9-11; Numbers 16:26-33,; I Samuel 5:7-9; Matthew 27:24.25). The classes of people who will face the judgment are the small (boys and girls) and the great (men and women). The congregation will consist of (i) all sinners (dead and alive) for neglecting the salvation Of God through Jesus Christ, the Saviour. (Hebrews 2:3). (ii) All backsliders who denied their faith in the Lord Jesus (Exodus 32:33). (iii) All who denied the deity of Jesus Christ such as sceptics, atheists, idol worshippers and religious hypocrites (John 3:18.36; Matthew 23:27), (iv) all rulers who used their powers to oppress the people.
2. The books of record (Revelation 20: 12; Daniel 7:9, 10). God has record of all sinners with their deeds in heaven. In righteousness, He will judge all unrighteous deeds of boys and girls (1 John 5: 17; Romans 1:28-32). unpleasant words such as gossiping, backbiting. etc. (Matthew 12:37), the secret conducts (Romans 2: 16; Matthew 10:26; Hebrews 4: 13), etc.
3. The Book of life (Revelation 20:12; Daniel 12:1; Malachi 3:16-18; Philippians 423). The names of all born again youths are written in the Book of life in heaven. Therefore, they will not be victims of this judgment. The question is: “Is your name written there? On the page white and fair; In the Book Of God’s Kingdom, Is your name written there?”
4. The judgment (Revelation 20:12, 13; Jeremiah 17:9, 10; Romans 2:2-12; Job 34:18-22; Revelation 21:8). God will judge every sinner and backslider who fail to repent. His judgment will be fair, without partiality or respect of persons. The Bible says. “For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward” (Deuteronomy 10: 17).
5. The place of punishment (Revelation 20: 14, 15; 21:8; Mark 9:43-48; Luke 16:19-28; Psalm 9:17). The place of those whose names are not in the Book of life is the lake of fire. Without partiality, “whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire” (Revelation 20:15). The people to suffer that fate, include “the fearful, unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with brimstone: which is the second death’ (Revelation 21 ;8).
THE WAY OF ESCAPE (Revelation 20:14,15; Luke 13:3,5; Act. 17:30,31; Hebrews 2:3; 12:29; Acts 4:12)
Jesus said, I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3).
Question 4: What is the way of escape from this final Judgment?
“And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead” (Acts 17:30,31) The only way of escape from the great white throne judgment is repentance from sins.
This will bring forgiveness of all past sins and the grace to live righteously. Remember, forgiveness and salvation can only come through Jesus Christ, the Mediator of the new covenant. “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved” (Acts 4: 12). Sinful youths should, therefore, seize this opportunity and give their lives to Jesus Christ.