DCLM DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL NOVEMBER 17, 2021 (END TO TYRANNY)
Topic: “End To Tyranny“
TEXT: 2 Kings 11:13-21
13. And when Athaliah heard the noise of the guard and of the people, she came to the people into the temple of the LORD.
14. And when she looked, behold, the king stood by a pillar, as the manner was, and the princes and the trumpeters by the king, and all the people of the land rejoiced, and blew with trumpets; and Athaliah rent her clothes, and cried, Treason, Treason.
15. But Jehoiada the priest commanded the captains of the hundreds, the officers of the host, and said unto them, Have her forth without the ranges; and him that followeth her kill with the sword. For the priest had said, Let her not be slain in the house of the LORD.
16. And they laid hands on her; and she went by the way by the which the horses came into the king’s house; and there was she slain.
17. And Jehoiada made a covenant between the LORD and the king and the people, that they should be the LORD’S people; between the king also and the people.
18. And all the people of the land went into the house of Baal, and brake it down; his altars and his images brake they in pieces thoroughly, and slew Mattan the priest of Baal before the altars. And the priest appointed officers over the house of the LORD.
19. And he took the rulers over hundreds, and the captains, and the guard, and all the people of the land; and they brought down the king from the house of the LORD, and came by the way of the gate of the guard to the king’s house. And he sat on the throne of the kings.
20. And all the people of the land rejoiced, and the city was in quiet; and they slew Athaliah with the sword beside the king’s house.
21. Seven years old was Jehoash when he began to reign.
Key Verse: 2 Kings 11:16
“And they laid hands on her; and she went by the way by the which the horses came into the king’s house: and there was she slain.”
Many passages of the Scriptures comment on the seeming triumph of the wicked. In each case, God’s word affirms that a sad end is their lot.
One eloquent illustration of this truth is the case of Athaliah, the daughter of Ahab and Jezebel, married to Jehoram, one time king of Judah. Jehoram was succeeded by his son Ahaziah who was eventually slain by Jehu. A rather strange twist was introduced when Athaliah became aware that her son had been killed. In her lust for power, she usurped the kingship and, for fear of any possible rivalry, killed all the king’s sons. By divine providence, one year old Joash escaped her sword. He was hidden six years in the house of God by his aunt, Jehosheba, the wife of Jehoiada the priest.
Athaliah was as wicked as her parents and as vicious as her husband who maliciously slew all his brothers when he ascended the throne. Her action was aimed at ending the reign of the house of David and thereby hindering the fulfilment of God’s covenant with David. But how futile it is to fight against God’s plan! Just when Athaliah thought her government was established, God by the agency of Jehoiada the priest, plotted her overthrow and she was killed after six years of reign of terror and tyranny.
The death of Athaliah marked the beginning of Joash’s reign. Good will ultimately overcome evil. Those who by violence and fraud seek to deprive others of their rightful position will certainly receive their just recompense because God hates injustice and wickedness.
Are you overwhelmed by the seeming success of wicked people in your neighbourhood or workplace? or are you oppressed by powerful, proud and evil ones? Keep on the path of righteousness with the Lord. It will not be too long; you will see the defeat and downfall of the wicked and oppressor.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Elevation through wickedness ends in humiliation.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word. Read More…