DCLM DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR NOVEMBER 9, 2022 (“WHAT’S IN YOUR HANDS?“)
TOPIC : “WHAT’S IN YOUR HANDS?“
Text: John 6:1-13
1. After these things Jesus went over the sea of Galilee, which is the sea of Tiberias.
2. And a great multitude followed him, because they saw his miracles which he did on them that were diseased.
3. And Jesus went up into a mountain, and there he sat with his disciples.
4. And the passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh.
5. When Jesus then lifted up his eyes, and saw a great company come unto him, he saith unto Philip, Whence shall we buy bread, that these may eat?
6. And this he said to prove him; for he himself knew what he would do.
7. Philip answered him, Two hundred pennyworth of bread is not sufficient for them, that every one of them may take a little.
8. One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, saith unto him,
9. There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes; but what are they among so many?
10. And Jesus said, Make the men sit down. Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand.
11. And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.
12. When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost.
13. Therefore they gathered them together and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten.
KEY VERSE: John 6:9
“There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?”.
A young girl, Hattie, stood outside a small church in the United States from which she had been turned away because it was too crowded to get all the little children in for Sunday school. Two years later, Hattie sadly died. As her poor little body was being moved, a worn and crumpled purse was found. Inside was found 57 cents and a note scribbled in childish handwriting which read: “This is to help build the little church bigger so more children can go to Sunday school.” A newspaper heard of the story and published it. It was read by a realtor who offered a parcel of land worth many thousands of dollars. Church members donated and within five years, the little girl’s gift had increased to $250,000, which was used to build Temple Baptist Church in the city of Philadelphia with a seating capacity of 3,300 and Temple University, where hundreds of students are trained.
Jesus was teaching a great company of people who had come to meet Him after seeing His miracles. With such a crowd in the desert place, it was a challenge to feed them. But a little lad, who attended the meeting, surrendered his five loaves of bread and two small fishes. Jesus blessed the little that was available and soon five thousand people were fed with twelve baskets of leftovers.
As we ponder on the miracle of feeding the five thousand people, let us not overlook the gift of the five loaves of bread and two fishes in the hands of this little lad. He was willing to sacrifice them for the benefit of others.
What do you possess? Is it knowledge, gift, talent or a special ability obtained through training? You could surrender it for the benefit of humanity by placing it in God’s hands. Like little Hattie, the effect of your giving today can build lives and produce far-reaching results tomorrow than you ever imagined.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Be a blessing to the Church and the world with what’s in your hands.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Kings 17-18
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.