DCLM DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR MARCH 6, 2022 (GETTING HEAVEN’S ATTENTION)
TOPIC: “Getting Heaven’s Attention “
Text: Psalm 17:1-15
1. Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips.
2. Let my sentence come forth from thy presence; let thine eyes behold the things that are equal.
3. Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.
4. Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.
5. Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not.
6. I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God; incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech.
7. Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.
8. Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings,
9. From the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, who compass me about.
10. They are inclosed in their own fat; with their mouth they speak proudly.
11. They have now compassed us in our steps; they have set their eyes bowing down to the earth;
12. Like as a lion that is greedy of his prey, and as it were a young lion lurking in secret places.
13. Arise, O LORD, disappoint him, cast him down; deliver my soul from the wicked, which is thy sword;
14. From men which are thy hand, O LORD, from men of the world, which have their portion in this life, and whose belly thou fillest with thy hid treasure; they are full of children, and leave the rest of their substance to their babes.
15. As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.
KEY VERSE: Psalm 17:1
“Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips.”
Bible scholars identify the historical background of this plaintive composition as the period when David was on one of his numerous flights from Saul’s murderous campaigns to eliminate him. He and the hundreds of crack fighters that were faithful to him were in danger of being slaughtered by Saul’s hounds. There was nowhere to hide, as the king appeared to be closing in on them wherever they sought shelter. But David knew where to seek unfailing protection – the throne of God. He knew how to reach Him and secure His attention.
David was aware that it was not enough to be in trouble and run to the Lord for help. Certainly, God is the ultimate Expert in delivering the oppressed. But the seeker of help from heaven must meet some cardinal conditions. He must be free from sin and not be a hypocrite.
Having fulfilled these conditions, David boldly approached the Lord with his demands. He requested, “Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings, From the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, who compass me about”. Believers are in more need of this divine protection because the world is in a worse state of alienation from God, and Satan is fighting hard to alienate more people.
Those in one difficult situation or the other can seek the Lord’s help. But they must ensure their prayer is one “that goeth not out of feigned lips” in order to get heaven’s attention. Believers must have confidence in God’s unfailing power to protect them from all adversaries.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
God listens when sin is taken out.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Daily Manna the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.