DCLM DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR AUGUST 10, 2022 (GOD WATCHES OVER THE FAITHFUL)
TOPIC : GOD WATCHES OVER THE FAITHFUL
Text: Genesis 39:16-23
16. And she laid up his garment by her, until his lord came home.
17. And she spake unto him according to these words, saying, The Hebrew servant, which thou hast brought unto us, came in unto me to mock me;
18. And it came to pass, as I lifted up my voice and cried, that he left his garment with me, and fled out.
19. And it came to pass, when his master heard the words of his wife, which she spake unto him, saying, After this manner did thy servant to me; that his wrath was kindled.
20. And Joseph’s master took him, and put him into the prison, a place where the king’s prisoners were bound; and he was there in the prison.
21. But the LORD was with Joseph, and shewed him mercy, and gave him favour in the sight of the keeper of the prison.
22. And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph’s hand all the prisoners that were in the prison; and whatsoever they did there, he was the doer of it.
23. The keeper of the prison looked not to any thing that was under his hand; because the LORD was with him, and that which he did, the LORD made it to prosper.
KEY VERSE: Genesis 39:2
“But the LORD was with Joseph, and shewed him mercy, and gave him favour in the sight of the keeper of the prison.”.
True pilgrims here on earth do not need to be shown a glimpse of the great rewards awaiting them in heaven before they decide to take a firm stand to be on the Lord’s side, even in the midst of fiery challenges. Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego did not have to know the eventual outcome of their refusal to accede to the heathen cravings of the royal court. It did not matter to them if they incurred the anger of the powerful. What counted more was to please God.
Joseph also had this rare respect for God’s laws when confronted with a choice between riches drawn from sin and the gains of godliness. He opted for the latter, without knowing what would become of him. The anger of his master’s wife, propelled by her equally incensed master, Satan, came upon him. Prison was his portion, for “choosing rather to suffer affliction…than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season” (Hebrews 11:25).
God shows up wherever persecution leads the fervent believer. He made Joseph to prosper in jail and he brought him favour before the keeper of the facility. He became the keeper of the jailhouse and impressed the inmates with his godly comportment.
Our faith in the Lord is for all seasons. Whether in foreign lands or at home, God expects us to be worthy ambassadors for Him and stand out from the sinning multitude through our meekness and holiness. He does not expect that on either occasion we yield to the pressure of persecution or the tempting advances of the likes of Potiphar’s wife.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Heaven relocates to wherever God’s faithful servant is transported.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Job 5 – 8
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.