DCLM DAILY MANNA DAILY DEVOTIONAL OCTOBER 29, 2021 (RETRIBUTION FOR IMPENITENCE)
TOPIC:“ Retribution for Impenitence“
TEXT: Jeremiah 13:1-14
1. Thus saith the LORD unto me, Go and get thee a linen girdle, and put it upon thy loins, and put it not in water.
2. So I got a girdle according to the word of the LORD, and put it on my loins.
3. And the word of the LORD came unto me the second time, saying,
4. Take the girdle that thou hast got, which is upon thy loins, and arise, go to Euphrates, and hide it there in a hole of the rock.
5. So I went, and hid it by Euphrates, as the LORD commanded me.
6. And it came to pass after many days, that the LORD said unto me, Arise, go to Euphrates, and take the girdle from thence, which I commanded thee to hide there.
7. Then I went to Euphrates, and digged, and took the girdle from the place where I had hid it; and, behold, the girdle was marred, it was profitable for nothing.
8. Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
9. Thus saith the LORD, After this manner will I mar the pride of Judah, and the great pride of Jerusalem.
10. This evil people, which refuse to hear my words, which walk in the imagination of their heart, and walk after other gods, to serve them, and to worship them, shall even be as this girdle, which is good for nothing.
11. For as the girdle cleaveth to the loins of a man, so have I caused to cleave unto me the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah, saith the LORD; that they might be unto me for a people, and for a name, and for a praise, and for a glory; but they would not hear.
12. Therefore thou shalt speak unto them this word; Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Every bottle shall be filled with wine; and they shall say unto thee, Do we not certainly know that every bottle shall be filled with wine?
13. Then shalt thou say unto them, Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will fill all the inhabitants of this land, even the kings that sit upon David’s throne, and the priests, and the prophets, and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, with drunkenness.
14. And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD; I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.
Key Verse: Jeremiah 13:10
“This evil people, which refuse to hear my words, which walk in the imagination of their heart, and walk after other gods, to serve them, and to worship them, shall even be as this girdle, which is good for nothing.”
One of the most effective tools in teaching is the use of aids. This involves the use of visual, audio, audio-visual or life samples that learners can easily relate with and that can help drive the lesson home to the learners and help them understand and retain the knowledge and experience gained for a long time. In the text, Jeremiah was commanded to take a linen girdle to River Euphrates and hide it there. When later he was instructed to go and retrieve it, the girdle had become marred and “good for nothing”.
He was then commanded to go and prophesy to the people that just as the girdle had become good for nothing and useless, so shall they be when God would bring His judgment upon them for their idol worship and disobedience. The unfortunate story of Israel’s continual backslidings, which started in the wilderness had made them unable to fulfil God’s destiny for them. In our study and in many other instances, one would see God’s displeasure at their conduct and obstinacy.
It is for the benefit of man that he fears God and keeps His commandments. Every member of Christ’s Church ought to, by benefit of hindsight, learn from Israel’s mistakes and avoid all those pitfalls that crippled their walk with God.
The expectancy of an endless joy in Christ’s everlasting kingdom must keep the believer alive and vigilant against anything that may soil his garment of righteousness. Only then will he be counted worthy to walk with Christ in white (Revelation 3:4).
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Judgment inevitably comes when the sinner fails to repent.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word. Read More…