Topic: “Blessed Through Obedience“
TEXT: Genesis 22:1-19
1. And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham; and he said, Behold, here I am.
2. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
3. And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.
4. Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.
5. And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.
6. And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.
7. And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father; and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood; but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
8. And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering; so they went both of them together.
9. And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.
10. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.
11. And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham; and he said, Here am I.
12. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him; for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
13. And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns; and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
14. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh; as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
15. And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
16. And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son;
17. That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
18. And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
19. So Abraham returned unto his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beersheba; and Abraham dwelt at Beersheba.
Key Verse: Genesis 22:17,18
“That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore …because thou hast obeyed my voice.”
DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR TODAY
In our passage, God tested Abraham to know if he would give Him the most precious thing in his life – his only son Isaac. The next morning, he was on his way to Mount Moriah to offer the child in sacrifice as demanded by God. He was at the point of actually slaying the lad when He stopped him and provided a ram as a substitute. God then called him again and re-affirmed His earlier promises to make his descendants as the stars of heaven and as the sand at the sea shore.
God called Abraham at 75 years of age but did not immediately give him a child even though He knew barrenness was a problem in the family. This is because God was primarily interested in redeeming his soul and teaching him how to “walk before [Him] and be… perfect” (Genesis 17:1). Today, God still wants men to know that “godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come” (1 Timothy 4:8).
The eternal destiny of man is of great concern to God. While He blesses people with temporal things such as money, cars, houses, jobs, etc., His greatest desire is that men should know that His plan and purpose for them go beyond the present material world. He is preparing for them, a glorious land where He “shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying” (Revelation 21:4).
This is the ultimate. Abraham is already there (Matthew 8:11). And many shall join him there. If you are not qualified to be there yet, why not make yourself one through repentance and by faith in Christ.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: God blesses and honours the generation of those who obey Him.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Jeremiah 13-14
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word. Read More…