TOPIC: The End Is Near!
TEXT: Luke 21:28-38
28. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
- And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees;
- When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand.
- So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.
- Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.
- Heaven and earth shall pass away; but my words shall not pass away.
- And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.
- For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.
- Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
- And in the day time he was teaching in the temple; and at night he went out, and abode in the mount that is called the mount of Olives.
- And all the people came early in the morning to him in the temple, for to hear him.
“So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.” – (Luke 21:31).
Human ingenuity has developed in key and sensitive areas of life; they are indicators that help to predict the approach of the end of a thing and suggest the right action in order not to be caught off guard.
In the money markets for instance, skilled investors know what to look out for in order to pull out of a particular capital market so as not to suffer a devastating loss. Of course, those who are ignorant of these signs or choose to deliberately ignore the warnings live to count their losses.
Jesus, in the verses preceding our text, outlined before His listeners, signs that would herald the end of time. Now He tells them that as soon as they see the signs coming to pass, they must be prepared as the end is bound to come. He warned them against acts that can hinder them from noticing the approach of the end of things. And told them to remain sober, watchful and prayerful if they did not want to be caught unawares.
The happenings around us are signs that the end is near. The increase and lack of restraint in sins, the growth in knowledge and technology, the increase in war, civil disturbances, social unrest, insecurities, the persecutions of Christians, the multiplication of falsehood and the falling away of many from the faith, etc., all attest to this fact.
Wise believers must take to the counsel of Christ to watch, pray and get rid of everything that will deaden their spiritual sensitivity. This, we must do so that we can sail unhindered when the time comes for us to depart! Let all the signs you see make you know that the end is near.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Are you ready for the flight to heaven?
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 29 July 2022 Devotional | Deeper Life Devotional Guide was written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria. DCLM Daily Manna 29 July 2022 Devotional