Topic: PRESS FORWARD FOR THE PRIZE”
Read: Philippians 3:12-16
12. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
13. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing [I do,] forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
14. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
15. Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.
16. Nevertheless, to [the degree] that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind.
Our text today unfolds what a new life in Christ Jesus implies as exemplified in the life and Ministry of Paul the Apostle. A Christian life should be progressive and not static, moving forward to obtain the prize. Paul revealed the secret of what kept him moving forward in his walk with the Lord.
He said, “Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting hat lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead ” (v. 12) Paul put everything behind him and forged ahead in his walk with the Lord.
As a mature Christian, you must have the attitude of always desiring to press forward. Paul knew what could prevent him from winning the prize; he put them behind and considered all the things in which he could boast as worthless. Search your life today to see if there is anything you still hold on to, and which is drawing you back in your walk with the Lord.
Hebrews12:1-2 says, “…let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely;, and run with perseverance the race that is set before us….” if you must have a successful walk with the Lord and end it at His bosom, you must put behind you every weight that
is drawing you back from making progress in the Lord. Like Paul, you need to press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Lord Jesus. give me the grace to always press forward in my walk with You until I obtain the crown of glory which You have secured for me.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.